As promised, an update from the 2020 Aquarius X-Mas Tournament.
As we all know, COVID-19 is still a big issue all over the planet, and Belgium is one of the many countries in Europe where the virus is still gaining in strength. Our national government has recently strengthened the measures in order to stop the virus and to minimize the impact on the health sector.
As a result of this the basketball competitions have been suspended till mid-november, but is seems more realistic that those measures won’t change before mid December.
Due to the increased restrictions and measures, it will be impossible to host over 180 teams in and around Kortrijk, without taking risks. From the medical and ogistical point of view, this seems impossible.
We will however do everything to maintain our event on the planned dates, be it in a very limited version. This is the only realistic solution, that will allow us to grant the safest possible environment.
It has therefore be decided (till further notice):
- we will only organize competitions in Men Under 19 and Women Under 17, our ‘flaghsips’.
- These two competitions will take place in Venue Lange Munte and there will be a strict separation between those two groups.
- Teams will be spread over three hotels in the center of Kortrijk.
- Teams will be allowed to bring 15 people. This includes players, staff and family (this measure is tenporary and can be adapted if the situation improves).
- No side events (dunk contest, 3pt contest,….) will be organized.
- No public transport will be organized. Teams without own transport means will be transported separately (one bus, one team).
- Before entering in the venues, temperature will be taken. This measure is mandatory for everybody.
- Wearing the mask is mandatory, except for players on the court and the headcoach.
- Meals will be organized in a Coronaproof environment.
A complete COVID guide will be worked out and forwarded to the participating teams. We will do whatever is within our means and capabilities to organize this event. We hope that every team understands that it is not realistic to organize on several spots and in all age groups without taking risks for your health.For the teams registered in MU19 and WU17: may we ask you to confirm your engagement please. From our side, we keep monitoring the situation, hoping that it will improve by early December. If there is still a very unsecure situation at the end of the year, however, we will not take any risks.
For the teams in the other age groups: we are very sorry, but we hope that you can understand our decision. It wouldn’t be wise to aim too big in these circumstances. We grant you a certified spot in the 2021 edition, if you are interested. We will contact you early 2021 for that.
We all hope to come with better news soon. In the meantime: stay safe and keep caring about each other !!!